Cleaning up after your Shih Tzu Tips! Shih Tzus are very sensitive dogs. Therefore, do not scold your Shih Tzu puppy too harshly. Your dog will become unhappy as well as less sociable. And he or she will withdraw from you. Just know that cleaning up after your Shih Tzu is now your duty.
How Often Should You Let Your Shih Tzu Puppy Outside?
Shih Tzu puppies should be let outside to urinate, or placed on newspaper in a designated area, at least every three hours.
If your puppy has just eaten, there is more pressure on the bladder, and it should be placed in its “toilet area” immediately, to prevent an accident.
What To Do In The Case Of Your Shih Tzu Making An Accident On The Carpet?
In the case of your Shih Tzu accidentally going on the carpet, there are several carpet cleaning products designed specifically for the removal of pet odors and stains.
Some of these are available from your veterinarian or your local pet supply stores. However, if you do not have any of these commercial products immediately on hand, and if your puppy accidentally soils the carpet, here are two simple solutions that may help.
You may try one or the other, but be sure to test a small section of your carpet first, to be sure the solution does not damage it:
– Mix one part clear vinegar to one part water and lightly dab or blot on the carpet with a clean towel.
– Take a small amount of club soda and dab it lightly on the carpet and blot it dry with a clean towel.
Cleaning Up After Your Shih Tzu Is Your Job: You Are Your Shih Tzu’s Cleanup Crew
– When you take your pet outside, do not forget the essentials! Take a plastic bag or a “pooper scooper” to promptly pick up the mess and discard it properly in a well-sealed plastic bag.
Don’t bury the excrement in the ground where it can be stepped on or other animals can find it.
– Dog feces may contain contagious organisms that can spread diseases (such as parvovirus or intestinal parasites).
Some of these are contagious to other dogs, and some are contagious to people (such as ringworms, which can be a serious problem for children).
– Be thoughtful and courteous to others. Keep your environment pristine and safe by cleaning up after your Shih Tzu.